The Food Co-op is a student led initiative providing cheap. local and seasonal fruit & veg. It is run entirely by volunteers and as a co-op it is run collectively. All members are expected to contribute. Every little helps, with an hour from each member per month we can keep the Food Co-op running. Being part of a co-op is all about working together.
What we do:
We supply weekly fruit & veg boxes sourced as locally as possible enabling students and staff to support and eat good food. The veg is ordered each week in bulk by student volunteers and this means we can offer cheap veg by distributing the veg into boxes ourselves.
Veg boxes cost £4 each and vary every week according to availability and seasonality. We distribute the veg boxes at Moulsecoomb, Falmer, Grand Parade and Hastings campuses:
- Grand Parade: Tuesdays from 12pm - 2pm, Sallis Benney foyer space, or upstairs in the Students' Union office
- Falmer: Tuesdays from 1-2pm in Falmer SU/The Hive, Ringmer House
- Moulsecoomb: Thursday, 12pm - 2pm, Brighton SU Reception. Cockcroft Building
Click here to view our recipe page for tasty, wholesome recipe suggestions
Veg boxes need to be ordered in advance, don't forget to bring a bag to put your veggies in!
Moulsecoomb and Falmer campuses also sell dried wholefoods sourced from Infinity Foods co-operative, based in Brighton. You can buy cous cous, bulgar wheat, rice or quinoa much cheaper than usual as we buy in bulk. You do not need to pre-order to buy wholefoods, but don’t forget to bring a container!
How to join:
Join online by clicking the basket logo. Make sure you log into the union website using your student central credentials.
eg username: pr177 password 11tg8x
Click here to join now http://www.brightonsu.com/organisation/11426/
You will receive a welcome email.
Go to a University of Brighton Students Union reception office, located at the ground floor of the Cockcroft building (Lewes Road, Moulsecoomb) or mezzanine floor at Grand Parade campus (Grand Parade main building) or in Ringmer House in Falmer. Membership is £1 for an academic year, which enables you to join the buying group and order fresh veg, as and when you like and get a discount on the dry goods. As a member you also get invited along to food related socials and chance to meet new people.
Facebook: Join our facebook groups to keep updated with veg deliveries, recipes, socials & more!
What we strive to do:
- Provide access to local and ethical foods to the University of Brighton community, sourcing organically grown and seasonal foods.
Make these foods available at very competitive and affordable prices.
- Engage the wider community in all our activities and extend access where possible, encouraging partnership working and learning.
- Run the cooperative placing ethical, environmental and social responsibility as priorities over monetary profit.
- To act as a facilitator for other food-related activities and exchanges between members of the community.
- To create discussions around food and to foster the building of a community around a common love of good food, positive social change, and a sense of collective responsibility.
- University of Brighton staff and students as well as community members can join the cooperative buying group.
- Staff and students at the University of Brighton can join the food co-op as society members and participate in how its run.
- All members stand as equal in the cooperative community and are encouraged to contribute to our common goals.
- Membership can be obtained at a fixed minimal price and is valid for 12 calendar months
- Members should contribute to the food co-op at least once a month (minimum 1hour). This can include communications, packing and sorting, organising events, cooking and much more. If members do not commit to their volunteering they will not be able to take part in the buying scheme.
- There is no obligation to buy produce
- Members’ events including food socials & workshops.
- Access to training on running a co-op, food growing, preparation, selling etc.
- Getting to know local producers
- Meeting like-minded people
- And having fun!