These are some of the common housing problems that you may experience. This guide below will be able to help you get the information and support you need for these common issues.


Your letting agent/landlord may have given you a guide on preventing mould. There are a few things you can do to help prevent mould. This includes:

  • reducing tumble-drying or having the exhaust of a tumble dryer outside of the house
  • not drying clothes on radiators
  • ventilate properly when cooking and using a shower/bath

If you do find mould, wipe it with warm, soapy water and then dry the wall with a cloth and then dispose of the cloths you used. Make sure you wear gloves when removing mould and cover/move any soft furnishings.


If you are having a minor dispute with housemates, try to solve it internally with a discussion with them. This can be done by doing it at the house or in a place with someone there who is neutral and can help with discussions.

If you are having a dispute that cannot be solved with a discussion, you can get support from the following people:


When dealing with landlord disputes, it is always good to have support. When dealing with landlord disputes, make sure you keep all correspondence with them as evidence. Also, it is good to keep other evidence, this can include:

  • For rent/payment disputes. You can get bank statements from online banking or from your nearest branch.
  • For deposit/damage disputes. Take photos of the place when you move in and move out and have your inventory to hand. More information can be found on the Get In and Get Out pages.

If you are having a dispute that cannot be solved with a discussion, you can get support from the Andrew Keeffe at


In your contract or your welcome pack, you will have information on sorting out repairs or maintenance issues. Any maintenance which isn’t your fault (usually referred to as general wear and tear) should be at the cost to the landlord and you shouldn’t pay anything. You may need to be around to give contractors access to make repairs but sometimes the landlord/letting agent will give access directly after asking for your permission.

If you have an emergency repair scenario (what constitutes an emergency is outlined in your contract/welcome pack), use the emergency repair phone number that is in your contract/welcome pack.


If you have a power cut, do not call your electricity supplier as they do not have control over the grid directly. Call the National Grid directly on 105 or search “Power Cut 105” online.

For properties that have gas, if you smell a gas leak, call 0800 111 999. Also, open all windows and doors; do not smoke or light a flame; do not turn any switches on or off; and if possible, turn off the meter at the control handle unless the meter is in the cellar.

If you are in a gas property, you will have a carbon monoxide alarm. If this alarm sounds, open all windows and doors; turn off all appliances that you are using; and evacuate the property immediately. Once you are safely outside, call 0800 111 999 and seek medical help immediately. Going outside with the fresh air will not treat any exposure to the gas so make sure you get medical help.