Many people think that mental health conditions are very rare, but actually, 1 in 4 people will suffer from a mental health condition in any given year.

Some common mental health conditions are depression, anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder and eating disorders.

Mental health is “the emotional and spiritual resilience which allows us to enjoy life and survive pain, disappointment and sadness. It is a positive sense of well-being and an underlying belief in our own, and others’, dignity and worth” (Health Education Authority, 1997).

We all have mental health, just like we have physical health. Our minds can become unwell just like our bodies can.

There is a spectrum of mental ill-health that ranges from not having much of an effect on a person’s everyday life, to seriously impacting it. Wherever you fall on the spectrum, try to do your best to look after your mental health and work on improving it.

You may want to do this by focusing on the Five Ways to Wellbeing, or through getting support on campus or off campus.


To support students with their mental health the PEACH (Peer Education & Advice for Campus Health) Team has been created as a peer-led project within Brighton Students’ Union.

Our aims are to promote positive mental health and wellbeing within the University community and also to reduce the incidence and prevalence of drug and alcohol-related harm among our student population.

We will do this through outreach, campaign work and activism. You may have seen us around campus running our stress-reducing; Pet Therapy campaign.

PEACH is a group of fully trained student volunteers who are friendly and non-judgemental. The team are creative and fun in our approach to peer-led education.

If you want to find out more about volunteering with us, or are interested in joining the team, you can do so here.

If you're experiencing physical or mental ill health you may find you miss lectures and/or deadlines. This can cause your results to suffer, and put you at risk of failure to progress or even withdrawal from your course. Make sure you tell your Personal Tutor and book an appointment with a Union Support Advisor as we can help you ask for an extension to a deadline or apply for mitigating circumstances. Your schools' Student Support and Guidance Tutor (SSGT) can also help you with this.