Who are Union Support?

We're a small team of experienced academic advisers working for you, the student, as part of Brighton Students' Union. We are independent from the University of Brighton and therefore impartial in the advice we give.

What can Union Support help me with?

We can provide you with independent, advice and guidance on issues related to fees, debt, housing, wellbeing, bullying and harassment but primarily we are here to help with academic issues. These include; what to do if you are withdrawn, how to submit mitigating circumstances, how to appeal, how to apply for extensions and what to do if you are being disciplined by the university, have a complaint or are being investigated for poor academic conduct.

Our service operates on an appointment system, meaning you should book an appointment to come and see us.

Academic misconduct can be broadly defined as trying to gain an advantage over other students by unfair methods. Students who are found guilty of academic misconduct can face heavy penalties which can have a devastating effect on their academic career. With this in mind, it?s important that you have a good understanding of what constitutes misconduct, so you can take steps to ensure you don?t unwittingly fall foul of the rules.

What is a Course Rep?

Course Reps represent the views of the other students on their course. By gathering feedback from their fellow students, Course Reps can identify the issues that are affecting their course. They can then discuss these issues with staff either in informal meetings or in the more formal course boards and staff/student committees.

It's not just about where there are problems, it's also about providing positive and constructive feedback from students to the course team letting them know what works well. Course Reps can then work in partnership with staff to develop the course in ways which will enhance the student learning experience.

Course Reps also have an important role in feeding back information from these meetings to their fellow students – keeping everyone fully informed.

It is important that reps also keep the Students' Union informed on issues that are arising, allowing the elected officers of the Union to know where action is required.

What do Course Reps not do?

Course reps do not deal with students' individual problems - they are not expected to support students with issues of a personal or sensitive nature or individual complaints or appeals.

In these situations it is best for the student concerned to be signposted to the Students' Union or Student Services who can offer professional and impartial advice.

Who is my Course Rep?

Find your Rep HERE

What is my Personal Tutor for?

Every undergraduate and taught postgraduate student in the university has a Personal Tutor. Your Personal Tutor is there to help you make the most of your studies providing you with academic advice and support as you progress through your university career. If your Personal Tutor is unavailable, you will have a Student Support & Guidance Tutor (SSGT) who can offer support in their absence.

Can I change my Personal Tutor?

If you are unhappy with the support you are receiving from your Personal Tutor, you can contact the Course Leader to discuss your concerns and request a change of Personal Tutor. You can find out who the Course Leader is by asking your Personal Tutor or your school office. Contact information for your school office can be found HERE.

I am having trouble with my Dissertation Supervisor. What can I do?

You can find some helpful information HERE.

If you decide to request a change of supervision, the university will do what they can to accommodate this. There may not be someone else with the time and relevant expertise to take over your supervision and the General Support and Tutoring policy states [Students are entitled] To have any reasonable request for a change of allocated personal tutor considered seriously, and an alternative proposed where possible (Section 2.8).

I’m having problems with my PhD Supervisor. What can I do?

If you're having issues with your principal or secondary supervisor, it may be helpful to discuss these with the Directors of Postgraduate Studies and Research Student. Where this does not prove possible, students can raise issues with their student representative. The university publishes a ?Code of Practice for Supervisors and Research Students?, which contains some helpful guidance on handling problems that may occur in the supervisor/student relationship. More information can be found HERE.

This document explains what to do if you have a problem or want to feedback on an issue.

If you decide to request a change of supervision, the university will do what they can to accommodate this. There may not be someone else with the time and relevant expertise to take over your supervision.

I would like someone to proof read my essay, is there anyone who can he

Some schools facilitate using trained volunteers to help you with your study skills. There is a lot of help if you know where to look for information, so we've done the leg work for you! If you are a non-native English speaker you are welcome to use ASK Study Service which includes Peer Proof Reading Scheme.