Why do we have placement and who can help me organise this?

A placement can offer you a taste of what life is really like in your chosen field, provide useful work experience and give you a chance to impress potential employers. Each faculty has a placement officer who will help you find a suitable placement and support you throughout your time in the workplace. Find out more HERE.

What types of placement are there?

There are two types work placement that are incorporated within degrees:

1) Some of the professional degree courses (such as those in Medicine, Midwifery, Nursing, Teaching, etc.), require that you complete compulsory assessed placements. Sometimes these may also be referred to as clinical placements or school placements.

2) The other type of placement is the one-year work experience for degrees with employment experience. Your School will be able to tell you if your course has these or not.

Please note: ERASMUS is different to the placements described HERE

I'm having problems with my placement, what should I do?

It's not uncommon to experience some sort of difficulty while on placement, so don’t worry you’re not alone. Passing your placement is necessary in programmes where this forms part of the degree. It's really important to solve any problems early so that it doesn't affect your degree/qualification. Tell your placement supervisor/mentor because their job is to support you as well as assess you.

Things to think about...

Now, as soon as possible! Most of the work we do each year is with students who didn’t ask for help at the time they really needed it (before the assessment). It is better to prevent problems from occurring than to try to fix them later.

If you encounter problems with your placement, this can have serious consequences on your degree as you must pass the placements to obtain your degree. As well as this, poor progress reports, failure, or early termination of a placement could result in your fitness to practice being reviewed. Bearing this in mind, it is important that you tackle any problems that arise promptly. A good placement will include an induction session, this provides you the opportunity to ask questions and sort out practical issues. Ask your supervisor to clarify anything you are unsure of. Let your placement supervisor/ mentor know if there are any practical or personal issues preventing you from meeting your responsibilities. For example, if shift patterns are genuinely a problem, it may be possible to re-negotiate them, or if due to a medical problem your attendance is being affected.

If your supervisor has concerns about your performance during the placement, they should let you know. Unless these are so serious that the placement is terminated early, your supervisor should work with you to try to overcome the problems.

If you encounter problems during your placement, for example lack of support or lack of opportunities, you should raise these with your supervisor promptly.

Your department will also have a member of staff responsible for overseeing placements. If you have concerns about your placement that cannot be resolved with your supervisor you should talk to this placement tutor. They too can advise you how to tackle the problems, or talk to the placement on your behalf. If necessary, the placement tutor may be able to arrange a different placement for you.

If you experience issues while you are on a placement, the university advises you to contact your placement officer. You can also contact your personal tutor, course leader or Student Support and Guidance Tutor (SSGT).

I've tried these suggestions but my issue is not resolved, can Union Support help?

Yes. If you have tried these useful suggestions, but your issue is not resolved or handled how you would like it to be, you should speak to one of our Union Support advisers. We can give you independent, friendly advice which should get you back on track.