Brighton Students’ Union has been through a few challenging years, but after 12 months of stabilising we are very proud to present our new Strategic Plan. This will direct our work over the next 3 years and lead us forwards to being the students’ union need us to be.
But enough of the technical talk, here’s how our Strategic Plan will benefit you!
Our vision is that all of our students have the best experience imaginable, we want to make your student life better. We’re focusing on the following themes after gathering your feedback, as we feel they represent key areas of student life.
We’re going to be challenging the university to provide our students with the best education possible.
How will we achieve this?
- Ensure that all Course Reps are well trained and supported.
- Raise awareness of our education support service.
- Provide an accessible service that is responsive to all student’s needs.
- Challenge the university to ensure that they meet their own strategic objective.
- Support and empower our students to make change.
We’re going to help our students stand out.
- Help you to identify and articulate the skills they develop when being a volunteer or student staff member.
- Continue to provide student staff opportunities throughout our organisation.
- Challenge the University’s Career Service to ensure they’re providing the services that you want and need.
- Produce a employability skills reward scheme.
We’re going to create a Union that is welcoming and relevant to all of our students.
How will we be doing this?
- Create and deliver engagement plans to reach students who are currently less engaged with the Union.
- Provide opportunities, societies, communities and events to suit all of our students’ backgrounds, hobbies and lifestyles.
- Get to know our students better in order to understand their needs.
- Create welcoming student spaces on all campuses and continue to campaign to the university to do the same.
We will support our students with their mental health and general wellbeing.
How are we going to achieve this?
- Continue to improve awareness of and access to resources, support and partner services.
- Challenge the university to provide appropriate services to support our students with mental health concerns.
- Actively campaign for the rights or our students, inside and outside of the university community.
We will be clear and transparent about who we are and what we do.
- Develop a clear brand identity so our students recognise our activities and services.
- Produce targeted and relevant communications to our students.
- Increase our staffing and officer presence across all campuses.
- Invest in digital communications to adapt the evolving needs of our students.
We know that none of the strategic theme actions will be possible without ensuring that our foundations are strong. This includes the people on our SU team that are the key to a successfully operationally sustainable Union.
If you have any questions or feedback about the Strategic Plan, contact your Union President, Tomi either on Facebook or through email.
We’re very excited about the future of Brighton Students’ Union and can’t wait to share it with you all. Watch this space and follow our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to stay updated with what we’re up to.