Lock-down litter pick challenge!
Wednesday 25 November 2020, midnight - midnight
This is an ongoing event where we are collaborating with University of Brighton's Hedgehog friendly campus team, to add our campus to The Big Hedgehog friendly lock-down litter pick! Hedgehogs are covered in thousands of spines, making them vulnerable to becoming trapped in litter. Unfortunately, many hedgehogs die every year because of this. Taking part in the competition will clean up your community and save lots of animals.To get involved you will need a litter picker and/or gloves and a bin bag, and once you have collected you litter send a photo to Bryony by 12th Dec, firstname.lastname@example.org. For further details join us on the 26th November for the offical HFC launch for more details.
General advice for litter pickers:
- Sharp objects (e.g. broken glass)
- Clinical waste (e.g. syringes)
- Hazardous areas (e.g. fast running rivers)
- Lone working if possible
- Heavy lifting
Please ensure that you:
- Wear gloves
- Cover any cuts
- Keep hands away from your eyes and mouth
- Wash hands straight away after litter picking
- Wear sturdy, appropriate footwear and waterproofs if needed
- Recycle any plastic, glass and aluminium
- Adhere to social distancing and other relevant Government Covid procedures
If you find any dangerous, poisonous or hazardous materials, contact the Environment Agency on 0800 80 70 60.