Close search


Meet your 2022-23 Officers!

Thank you to everyone who got involved with the 2022-2023 SU elections, we had a great turnout of both candidates and voters and couldn’t have done it without any of you. We look forward to the changes the officers will be working hard to implement next academic year and hope you are too! If you have any queires moving forward, please email


See the Final Elections Results here!


The Online Prize Winners have been emailed seperately with how to claim their prize! 




They represent the needs of students across the University. Alongside leading the Union’s developments, they attend a number of meetings with University and other key stakeholders to ensure that the student voice is always heard.


They lead the student activities programme; to include sports, societies and entertainments across all campuses. They consult with students in the development of activities across a wide range of areas.

Postgrad & international officer

They are responsible for the representation of students on issues affecting postgraduate and international students. They consult with students and develop policies, actions and campaigns informed by students’ needs and concerns.


The lead officer for furthering the academic interests of students. They are responsible for representing students on issues affecting their academic experience within the Uni, locally and nationally.

You don’t need prior experience to put yourself forward in an election. It is up to students to decide who has the best suggestions and enthusiasm; it isn’t like going for a job interview where someone looks over your CV. You don’t have to have been a member of a sports club, worked for the Union or been a course rep to run for an officer position. Experiences like these can provide a useful insight into how the Students’ Union and University function but are by no means essential.

Key terms and what they mean

No Further Preference: No Further Preferences (NFP) is used to indicate that you don't want to vote for any more candidates. 
Re-Open Nominations: You can vote to Re-Open Nominations if you would like us to allow other potential candidates to nominate themselves. 



  2. Email a recent photo to accompany your nomination this will be published alongside the answers in your nomination form as part of the elections publicity.

  3. Once you have completed these steps you will be contacted by staff from Brighton Students’ Union inviting you to the online Candidates Briefing on Microsoft Teams.

  4. The Candidate Briefing is compulsory and is where you will be explained all of the elections rules. You must not start campaigning until you have attended the briefing in case you break any of the elections rules, breaking the rules may result in you being removed from the election.

We’ve had many international students that have become full-time officers!

Generally, international students are eligible to take up a sabbatical position: the regulations consider the post an extension of study. However, there are some exceptions to be aware of and some pitfalls to avoid. This is one of those areas where resolving problems after they have happened can be extremely difficult. The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA), collaborating with NUS, have put together guidance on the issue. UKCISA have kindly agreed to make the resource available in full at no cost to students’ unions. The briefing contains sections appropriate for students’ unions, institutions and candidates, but it is worth reading in full.

The briefing can be found here. We will continually add questions and answers to this page - if you have any questions about the elections, the roles or the Students' Union please email with the subject 'election FAQ'.


You can run as a full-time officer in both your final year of study and the penultimate year before graduating.

Please note that if you are successful and you are yet to graduate, you will have to return to university and finish your studies when your job/term/contract/role has finished. You will also need to contact the University to suspend your studies.

If you are in receipt of a loan/grant or bursary you will also need contact Student Finance England to make them aware of your planned sabbatical from study to ensure you aren’t over paid. Any payments you receive whilst on sabbatical will need to be paid back.